Friday, July 6, 2007

Just Writing

My boss tells me ‘you’ve got to write’. Sounds simple right? Then why is it that the word gives me cold feet and sweaty palms? Writing is my passion, a hobby that’s now a job. But then we all have our days. ‘Writer’s block’, every writer will be able to identify with my this state of mind. There are days when the mind just does not want to think, I also call it the ‘blank state’. This is when the passion turns into a nightmare. Where are my thoughts? Can somebody help me? The worst is staring at an open blank document, which stares right back with impudence.

You write a sentence, and then there goes ‘delete’. No word or sentence gives you satisfaction. Words refuse to flow, thoughts refuse to surface. There you go, procrastination sets in. Now every other thing seems more pleasurable than writing. Then comes the restless stage, when your mind goes into an overdrive. Why can’t I write? Why is it so difficult?

Now when I go through this phase, I have learnt how to overcome it and get into the writing mode. I just ‘switch off’ my mind, I don’t push myself to think, I go for a stroll and enjoy the nature and think of everything but what I need to write on. It’s the last thing on my mind. It helps, maybe you won’t be able to write pages and pages, but a page will surely come out of it.

For all of us satisfaction is the key word. At the end of the piece, you should feel like you have conveyed all that you wanted to. The reader should be as satisfied as you.

No comments: